I'm a bit confused right now, because Jon's post seems to intimate that there can be "true moral beings." I guess in an ideal world one may exist, but in that same ideal world idiots would stop calling WEEI to say that Wily Mo Pena should be starting in right field, Greg Oden or Kevin Durant would end up in a Celtics uniform (not gonna happen people, too much bad karma, and also Doc Rivers doesn't deserve to be able to coach either of those two players), I'd be able to get a good calzone near school, and tattoos wouldn't hurt and would be free. Now while the lottery may solve some of those problems, it sure as hell isn't gonna make tattoos not hurt and it sure as hell isn't going ot create "true moral beings."
Well, maybe it will. Problem is, those "true moral beings" in my eyes are not (and should not be ) the same "true moral beings" in everyone's eyes. Morality, which I'm going to define as a system of personal judgment that has an ethical influence, is inherently subjective. There's no way to get around it. My sense of morality is never going to be the same as Jon's, nor the same as my mother's, nor anyone else. No one. And considering the infinite diversity in thought, ideology, and experience among every human being, it will never be possible to have any unified moral (or ethical for that matter) code.
So while Jon may want us to get on this path towards infallibility, he has to realize that it doesn't and never will exist - not without mass genocide and only one group of people who seemingly think exactly the same way being the only human beings on the planet anyway. Even at that point, to argue that within that group of people who all have the same sense of morality and ethics that the sense of morality would never change is naive.
And I suppose I'll close by saying that in a situation where I have the choice to either save one loved one or a group of people I don't know, I'll always follow my instinct to save the person I love. So I guess I'm immoral, but I wonder if it's a problem that I don't have any problem with my own immorality?
No comments:
Post a Comment