6/10/06

Solution to that whole "Gay Marriage" debate

When I first heard that gay marriage was going to become a Political Issue I felt fear in my chest. I was afraid that out government would choose to make gay marriage an issue at all, I had always assumed that gay marriage was legal and everybody was ok with it.

As much as I disagree with the Christian Church's view on gay marriage, I have to respect their beliefs because this is America. So I propose that the Marriage becomes a strictly religious term. Marriage will have no legal meaning behind it, it will exist solely to show that a man and a woman are brought together in the eyes of god.

The government should fully reconize gay marriage, but instead of calling it a marriage, just call it a Civil Union. Make the legal defintion of a Civil Unions the joining of two human beings. Each couple of a Civil Union should have equal rights no matter what their sex is.

I think this compromise gives Christians their sanctity of marriage, while still allowing equality of all people through goverment.

If gay people want to fight for the word "marriage", then I think they are fighting a losing battle. I see marriage as a religious word. I do not see why people who are viewed as inherently being a sin by christianity would want to be joined together under the christian god.

This is America and you are allowed to choose the religion that best suites you. If a religion preaches intolerance and hate towards people of your kind (Christianity in this case) you do not have to follow that religion.

rewritten on 6/25/06

No comments: