4/18/06

My Utopia

I have been tinkering with the idea of "My Tuopia" for a couple of weeks now. I wrote the majority of this three weeks ago, but have edited it a couple times, then I thought about not posting it. It seems like I have said enough anti-religious stuff in the past, and that this would just play into my "anti-god" stance. Also, because I have mixed feelings towards all this immigration stuff going on, I felt like I would come off as a hypocrite preaching "tolerance". But I came to my senses and decided to post it just for thoughts-sake.


My Utopia would be a world without religion, a world where the meaning of "disease" has long been forgotten, a world where technology has given everyone a high quality of life, a world with a united government.

Religion is handcuffing the progress towards unity of the human race. We no longer need a source of morality, right and wrong in the context of civilization has long been established. Yes, religion teaches us to love thy neighbor, but most religions also teach intolerance. Tolerance is the key to having a united world. Without tolerance, the world's population will never act as one. There will always be people you will not understand, but tolerating their differences is key in uniting the world. I feel that religions are wrong, and as long as people hold onto them it will prevent the tolerance that we need to unite as one people.

Science and technology holds the key for the progressment of the human race. The quality of
life we have today is a direct product of science. Everything around you aside from nature has been created by man. The technology to build all this came from science. Science is the future. We need to take responsiblity for our own surivial and quality of life. We need to be smart.

If you share my vision of what a utopia is, then you should also agree that science, technology, and tolerance is the key to attaining that future. You can make a difference by encouraging your peers to be tolerant and to study the sciences.


So see past my bold statements about religion and ask yourself why you believe what you do. Take a look at the world and ask yourself what you can do to make it a better place.

The future depends on us.

I thought Imagine by John Lennon was fitting to what I am trying to say.

Imagine there’s no heaven,
It’s easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there’s no countries,
It isn’t hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

Imagine no possessions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I’m a dreamer,
But I’m not the only one,
I hope some day you’ll join us,
And the world will live as one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okay jon mehtala. i'll leave you a comment. you don't have to beg.

but yeah! your blog is good stuff. i like the way you think...because you do think and not enough people do that. i wish the damn government would spend more money on science and technology and not on the military's endeavors. the progress in technology is going to be so huge just in our lifetimes i can't even imagine. so long as we don't all blow ourselves up fighting about oil and religion and bullshit.

i'm still trying to figure out my opinions on some of this stuff...it's weird when religion is drilled into your head for 20 years and you start to seriously doubt its existence and then your dad is in the military and you realize one day that the military is this horrible institution based on hierarchies and hatred and power and it eats up all of our money and they get away with so much stuff...but okay. i don't want my comment to be longer than your entire post so i'll stop.

yay for tolerance!

-maribeth